One of my favorite meals is chili with cornbread. Fooling around with cornbread recipes to get the right tenderness and sweetness with firmness to hold up to the chili has been a journey. Happily, my younger son is an enthusiastic cook and we have fun working on these recipes together. We worked on this skillet cornbread with bacon together until we got it just right.
Crunchy versus tender…..
During our research and experimentation, we came upon a Reddit thread about crunchy versus tender cornbread. We are both confirmed tender cornbread lovers and find the other kind gritty. If you like the crunchy kind then skip the step where you soak the cornmeal in the milk.
- 3/4 Cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp melted bacon fat
- 6 slices crispy bacon, crumbled
- Maple syrup
- Mix corn meal and milk. Let rest 30 minutes.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Put skillet in oven to preheat. Add some bacon fat to skillet and brush up sides.
- Reduce heat to 375 F while you pour batter into skillet.
- Cook 20 -22 minutes
- Brush top with maple syrup.