Gentleman’s vest

My latest project is a gentleman’s vest. I used an online pattern calculator that gives you the means to graph a fitted vest based on the person’s measurements.  It was very accurate and only required some adjustments to the back neckline and shoulder width on the back piece.  I placed the darts once I had the muslin and could see where they darts went on the body.  

Then I got out the upholstery fabric.

This fabric looks lovely but was not easy to work with.  It had stretch.  Not an elastic stretch but something in the weave.  Based on the muslin I under stitched the front dream by hand, switching

at the fold so the underside of the lapel was stitched so it rolls the right way.  In this instance the fabric was very forgiving and the under stitching is virtually invisible.  The perfectionist in me wouldn’t mind the under stitching to show so the perfectly placed pick stitch could be seen but it looks nice the way it is. 

I though we might go with self covered buttons but my son thought it would be too furniture-y so I’m off to DressSew to find some buttons. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *