I didn’t know about tuna salad growing up. I don’t recall ever seeing a can of tuna in our house. My parents liked canned salmon. At McGill Tuna salad sandwiches and chicken salad sandwiches were pretty standard fare in the cafeterias. I didn’t particularly like either. I realized later its because they put celery in them. I like celery for juicing but otherwise Yuck! These days canned tuna can go a long way like my Tuna Pizza
Flash forward. My son, the gym rat, was on a no carbs after workout program. He introduced me to his version of tuna salad. Celery -free. His recipe was a very keto friendly tuna salad. His salad has boiled egg and lots of mayonnaise. The cool part was that he didn’t have the salad on bread or crackers. He had it with romaine leaves. He made lettuce wraps. Very cool.
I made a few changes to my son’s recipe, it was high protein but a little bland. It is still very low carb, making it keto friendly and low on the glycemic index. We are not all gym rats feeding our muscle growth. I stuck with the romaine too. It makes all the difference.
I add sweet relish and hearts of palm.
Give my Keto Friendly Tuna Salad a try and enjoy something a little different.
- 1 can Tuna in water (I prefer Pole and Line but any kind will do.)
- 1.5 - 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise - to taste
- 1 Tbsp Sweet Relish
- 1 or 2 stalks of Hearts of Palm -
- Romaine leaves
- Drain the tuna (I give the tuna juice to the cats - they love it) and break it into small pieces.
- Add mayonnaise and stir well.
- Stir in relish.
- You can stop at this point. This is a very nice salad.
- Chop palm hearts to taste. Stir in to salad.
- Spoon onto romaine leaves and enjoy.
- Serves 2 (or one gym rat)
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
[amazon_link asins=’B00F4QAANM,B01G3GX6T6,B00LM8VYXQ,B00EAIU3CI’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’moderngillie-20′ marketplace=’CA’ link_id=’8a738c3f-a224-11e7-aa16-45c89ff979d1′]
Don’t forget to pin this!