Having the desire to do holiday baking and having the time to do it do not always work out. These quick and tasty Gingerbread Muffins make the most of your limited time to bake.
I found the original recipe on Made to be a Momma. They are very good and I approve of the buttermilk and the amount of molasses. I felt that I could up their ginger bite with some crystallized ginger. I whirred about 1/2 cup of crystallized ginger in a food processor with some granulated sugar to stop it becoming a sticky lump.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses - oil your measuring cup before pouring the molasses and it wont stick to the cup.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk soured with 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- powdered sugar to sprinkle or
- cream cheese frosting
- Heat oven to 350F
- Grease muffin tins of line with paper liners.
- Combine dry ingredients up to the salt
- Cream together the butter and sugar
- Add molasses, eggs, vanilla to butter sugar mix.
- chop crystallized ginger finely If using food processor add 1 Tbsp of sugar.
- Alternating - add sugar mixture and buttermilk to dry ingredients.
- when dry ingredients are moistened add chopped ginger and mix until evenly distributed.
- Spoon into muffin cups and bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick at 18 minutes. Insert toothpick and if muffins are done it will come out clean.
- Once muffins are cool dust with powdered sugar or cream cheese frosting, garnished with small pieces of crystallized ginger, before serving.